Sunday, August 16, 2009

Last flight over the Atlantic for this part of the trip, England to Sweden to visit friends in Lund

We've just had the most wonderful English breakfast. Anyone planning to visit Durham in North England should consider staying at the Cathedral View Town House, if only for the outstanding breakfast!

Durham is lovely. We toured the castle yesterday, which is now used for student residences, if you can believe it. Lucky kids, it's an amazing Norman castle dating back to 1070. The cathedral is right next door, and was described by Bill Bryson as the "most beautiful cathedral on planet earth". Unlike many other cathedrals, it is fully open to the public and no sections are closed off from view. Stunning.

Today I fly my last transatlantic leg of the tour - as I am flying home commercially on the 20th, Eli and our friend Dan have lots of transatlantic travel ahead of them, but this is likely my last day in a survival suit for a while. I've come to kind of like it~! For someone who is perpetually chilly, the survival suit poses less discomfort.

I'm very excited about Sweden, which is one of my favorite places. We will fly into Malmo, close to Denmark, then take the train to Lund, where my dear friends Tomas, Lena, Anges and Edvin live. I look forward to introducing them to Eli, who they have not yet met. We don't see each other enough, but when we do, it is always magical.

After Sweden, we'll likely trundle down to Austria to see Eli's cousin and his family. Then homeward bound!

No comments:

Post a Comment